Great Glebe Garage Sale organizers frustrated with city's traffic restrictions

6 hours ago 9
Great Glebe Garage Sale 2022Large crowds on Bank Street at First Avenue for the Great Glebe Garage Sale on May 28, 2022. Photo by Ashley Fraser /Postmedia

Article content

The Glebe has been home to the Great Glebe Garage Sale for over 40 years. While a lot has changed overall, the event has been a “constant” for residents of that area.

Ottawa Citizen

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Unlimited digital access to the Ottawa Citizen.
  • Analysis on all things Ottawa by Bruce Deachman, Elizabeth Payne, David Pugliese, and others, award-winning newsletters and virtual events.
  • Opportunity to engage with our commenting community.
  • Ottawa Citizen ePaper.
  • Ottawa Citizen App.

SUBSCRIBE TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Subscribe now to read the latest news in your city and across Canada.

  • Exclusive articles from Elizabeth Payne, David Pugliese, Andrew Duffy, Bruce Deachman and others. Plus, food reviews and event listings in the weekly newsletter, Ottawa, Out of Office.
  • Unlimited online access to Ottawa Citizen and 15 news sites with one account.
  • Ottawa Citizen ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles, including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

Register to unlock this article — it’s free

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Sign In or Create an Account

or

Article content

But as the sale enters its fifth decade, the association that has been organizing it since 1986 is sounding the alarm over what it says is a lack of meaningful consultation by the City of Ottawa before imposing new traffic restrictions.

Article content

Article content

Article content

“This is the first year there have actually been traffic restrictions,” Glebe Community Association president John Crump said in an interview with the Ottawa Citizen, adding there were discussions last year, but the restrictions were not implemented then.

Article content

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Article content

Crump says the garage sale has operated safely for four decades and the association is not sure why “all of a sudden” traffic restrictions are being imposed for the event on Saturday, May 23.

Article content

“We were never given a reason, other than vague safety concerns,” Crump wrote in a May 21 news release.

Article content

Sam Woods, the Great Glebe Garage Sale co-ordinator, said the city got formally involved last year, when it asked the association to apply for a special permit to host the event.

Article content

A few weeks ago, the city denied the association’s application for a permit this year, according to Woods, who later found out that the denial wouldn’t prevent the association from hosting the event.

Article content

“They feel that the event itself is unsafe and creates a high likelihood of vehicle-pedestrian interactions,” he said.

Article content

In denying the permit, Woods said, the city argued that the scale of the event required “centralized oversight.”

Article content

Article content

“Given the distributed nature and number of participants involved, the level of control is not feasible,” an email to Woods read.

Article content

Article content

Heidi Cousineau, the city’s manager of Traffic, Safety and Mobility, Public Works, said in a statement to the Ottawa Citizen, that the city consulted “community representatives, the ward councillor’s office, the local Business Improvement Area, operational reviews,” in advance of implementing new traffic measures.

Article content

Cousineau said the consultation also included “ongoing feedback from residents and city partners,” adding that key considerations included “impacts on residents, traffic flow, accessibility, parking, safety, and neighbourhood navigation.”

Article content

But Woods said the city failed to keep him in the loop during these consultations.

Article content

“It’s like they have a math for how they make the decisions about parking and street closures and are not listening to the people who are boots on the ground, attending the event year after year,” he said.

Article content

Crump said “there needs to be some frank discussion after this about how the city engages with communities, especially in a large event like this.”

*** Disclaimer: This Article is auto-aggregated by a Rss Api Program and has not been created or edited by Bdtype.

(Note: This is an unedited and auto-generated story from Syndicated News Rss Api. News.bdtype.com Staff may not have modified or edited the content body.

Please visit the Source Website that deserves the credit and responsibility for creating this content.)

Watch Live | Source Article