US president says woody would see reopening Strait of Hormuz aft telephone with Middle East leaders.
Published On 23 May 2026
United States President Donald Trump has said that a Memorandum of Understanding successful ceasefire talks to extremity the US-Israel warfare with Iran “has been mostly negotiated”.
Trump said connected Saturday that the statement volition see reopening the Strait of Hormuz, adding that it remained “subject to finalization” by US and Iranian negotiators and “various different countries”.
Recommended Stories
list of 3 items- list 1 of 3US Secretary of State kicks disconnected India visit, invites Modi to White House
- list 2 of 3Iran sends ‘mixed’ messages arsenic Pakistani mediators depart Tehran
- list 3 of 3‘United States of the Middle East?’: Trump posts US emblem covering Iran
The US president made the announcement aft holding a telephone with leaders and officials from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Jordan, Egypt, Turkiye, and Bahrain. He said helium besides held a abstracted telephone with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
“Final aspects and details of the Deal are presently being discussed, and volition beryllium announced shortly,” helium wrote connected his Truth Social platform.
The announcement was the latest crook successful a week that began with Trump threatening Iran that clip was moving retired for an statement connected a much lasting ceasefire. He aboriginal told reporters helium had been conscionable moments distant from resuming attacks, which helium past decided to enactment “on hold” astatine the behest of Gulf countries.
Trump has since alternated betwixt renewing threats of escalation, including posting a picture connected Saturday of Iran covered successful a US flag, and saying that a woody was close.
The US president released the connection soon aft Pakistan’s service chief, Asim Munir, concluded a abbreviated but “highly productive” sojourn to Iran connected Saturday, according to a connection from Pakistan’s military.
It said that “encouraging progress” had been made towards reaching a last understanding.
Tehran officials person repeatedly voiced wariness implicit negotiating with the US, which had doubly launched subject attacks connected Iran during talks astir its atomic programme.
The US and Israel launched the latest warfare connected February 28, but warring has mostly remained paused arsenic of April 8, barring a fistful of flare-ups.
The US has continued to blockade Iran’s ports, with Iran efficaciously closing the Strait of Hormuz.
Key sticking points connected a woody person been the aboriginal of Iran’s atomic programme and its power implicit the strait, the aboriginal of US subject beingness successful the region, and entree to frozen Iranian funds.
.png)
1 hour ago
10

















Bengali (BD) ·
English (US) ·