
Article content
President Donald Trump said he’d called off a strike on Iran planned for Tuesday after an appeal by the leaders of Persian Gulf allies, who called for more time to pursue a diplomatic resolution.
THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.
- Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
- Unlimited online access to National Post.
- National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
- Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
- Support local journalism.
SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES
Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.
- Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
- Unlimited online access to National Post.
- National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
- Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
- Support local journalism.
REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
- Access articles from across Canada with one account.
- Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
- Enjoy additional articles per month.
- Get email updates from your favourite authors.
THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
- Access articles from across Canada with one account
- Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
- Enjoy additional articles per month
- Get email updates from your favourite authors
Sign In or Create an Account
or
Article content
Trump said in a social media post that leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates asked “to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place.”
Article content
Article content
Article content
I have been asked by the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and the President of the United Arab Emirates, Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran,… pic.twitter.com/yh3I28nEx1
— Commentary Donald J Trump Truth Social Posts On X (@TrumpTruthOnX) May 18, 2026Article content
The president has repeatedly threatened renewed military action against Iran without following through. There was no immediate confirmation from Tehran of renewed talks. Trump said the US is prepared to attack if an acceptable deal isn’t reached but didn’t set a deadline.
Article content
By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.
Article content
His post was the latest indication of the bind he’s in with the war, where Tehran has taken a hard line in the absence of credible threats of renewed attacks by the US. But escalation would bring further increases in oil prices, something the White House has so far been unwilling to risk.
Article content
Oil erased much of the day’s gains after Trump’s latest comments. Treasury yields also declined and stocks pared losses.
Article content
Earlier Monday, both sides said they’d rejected fresh proposals as insufficient to secure an agreement.
Article content

Article content
The White House said a proposal delivered by Iran through Pakistani mediators on Sunday lacked meaningful improvement, failing to offer detailed commitments on the surrender of the Islamic Republic’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium and the suspension of further enrichment, Axios reported, citing a senior US official and a person briefed on the issue.
Article content
Article content
Iran, meanwhile, indicated that US demands remain unacceptable. Tehran has refused to budge on some of its key positions and insisted that its frozen assets be returned and compensation for the war paid.
Article content
Article content
With crucial oil exports from the Persian Gulf all but cut off amid the war, Trump has been pushing Iran to make a deal or face a resumption of strikes. Iran has vowed to fight back. Earlier Monday, the UAE reported a drone struck near a major nuclear power plant.
Article content
Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency said earlier the US had offered to lift sanctions on the sale of Iranian oil until a final deal was reached, as part of a new draft proposal. A US official who refused to be named due to the sensitivity of the matter said the story was false, but didn’t elaborate.
Article content

Article content
According to Tasnim, Iran said Washington’s demands were still excessive and that it would not agree to end the war at the expense of its nuclear program.
Article content
High oil prices have added to pressure on the Trump administration. Monday, the Treasury Department said it’s extending a sanctions waiver to allow sales of Russian oil for another 30 days.
.png)
7 hours ago
10
















Bengali (BD) ·
English (US) ·