Suspect shot, killed after opening fire on agents near White House, Secret Service says

1 hour ago 8
Members of the media fleeMembers of the media clear the North Lawn following reports of gunfire on May 23. A man who allegedly opened fire on Secret Service agents near the White House was shot and killed, according to the agency. Photo by Aaron Schwartz /Photographer: Aaron Schwartz/Blo

Article content

A man was shot by U.S. Secret Service agents near the White House on Saturday after he opened fire with a handgun, according to a statement from the agency.

National Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Sign In or Create an Account

or

Article content

The man had been pacing along the street for some time before he approached a police checkpoint, pulled a pistol from his bag and began firing indiscriminately, said a person familiar with the matter who was granted anonymity to describe a sensitive investigation.

Article content

Article content

Article content

Officers returned fire, striking the suspect, who was transported to an area hospital, where he later died, the Secret Service said in the statement.

Article content

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Article content

A bystander was also struck during the shooting. It wasn’t clear whether the person was hit by the suspect’s initial gunfire or in the exchange that followed.

Article content

Police officers tend to a wounded man on a sidewalk Members of the U.S. Secret Service tend to a wounded man on the scene of a shooting near the White House on May 23, 2026 in Washington, D.C. Photo by Roberto Schmidt /Getty Images

Article content

The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to the person. He had a prior encounter with authorities near the White House in July 2025, when he was arrested for unlawful entry after walking into a restricted area at a pedestrian checkpoint, court records show.

Article content

He had been involuntarily held for a mental assessment by the authorities weeks earlier, in June 2025, after obstructing a vehicle entrance to the White House complex, according to the records.

Article content

The shooting occurred near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, outside the White House complex.

Article content

Reporters were hustled off the White House lawn and into the building as the campus was briefly locked down.

Article content

More than two hours before the incident, White House Communications Director Steven Cheung posted that President Donald Trump was in the executive mansion. Trump was the only Secret Service protectee at the White House at the time of the shooting, the person said.

Article content

Article content

Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Kash Patel posted on X that his agency is also assisting the Secret Service.

Article content

Article content

Saturday’s incident comes a little under a month after federal agents arrested a man at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner for attempting to assassinate Trump. The suspect attempted to charge through a security checkpoint with firearms.

Article content

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.

Article content

*** Disclaimer: This Article is auto-aggregated by a Rss Api Program and has not been created or edited by Bdtype.

(Note: This is an unedited and auto-generated story from Syndicated News Rss Api. News.bdtype.com Staff may not have modified or edited the content body.

Please visit the Source Website that deserves the credit and responsibility for creating this content.)

Watch Live | Source Article