
Article content
Five years ago Canada was sold a narrative so emotionally charged that it changed this country for the worse.
THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS
Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.
- Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
- Unlimited online access to National Post.
- National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
- Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
- Support local journalism.
SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES
Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.
- Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
- Unlimited online access to National Post.
- National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
- Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
- Support local journalism.
REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
- Access articles from across Canada with one account.
- Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
- Enjoy additional articles per month.
- Get email updates from your favourite authors.
THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.
Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.
- Access articles from across Canada with one account
- Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
- Enjoy additional articles per month
- Get email updates from your favourite authors
Sign In or Create an Account
or
Article content
Truth has been twisted out of proportion, people’s lives have been devastated, hundreds of millions of dollars wasted and all based on a spurious investigation that hoodwinked the nation.
Article content
Article content
On May 27, 2021, Chief Rosanne Casimir, of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc First Nation, issued a statement “confirming” that ground-penetrating radar had found the remains of 215 children at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School.
Article content
Article content
“Some were as young as three years old,” said the statement.
Article content
By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.
Article content
The next day, she gave a press conference in which she said, “This loss is unthinkable,” and added that she believed other bodies were waiting to be discovered at Indian residential schools throughout the country. “There are many out there,” she said.
Article content
If Casimir was to be believed, it wasn’t just heartbreaking, it was horrific. Then-prime minister Justin Trudeau was so affected that he ordered all federal flags to be lowered to half-mast, a position they stayed at for almost six months.
Article content
But even at this early stage, nothing really had been confirmed. Not a lot was even known back in 2021. And what was known was kept secret and is still under wraps.
Article content
Everything that was spawned from May 2021 onwards came directly from the work of Sarah Beaulieu, an assistant professor in anthropology and sociology at the University of the Fraser Valley, who conducted a ground-penetrating radar (GPR) investigation on May 21-24 of that year.
Article content
At a press conference in July 2021, Beaulieu described using GPR over a two-acre site near an apple orchard at the former Indian residential school.
Article content
Article content
It was Beaulieu who introduced lurid details into the tale.
Article content
Article content
The site was chosen, she said, because “knowledge keepers’ oral histories” recalled “children as young as six years old being woken in the night to dig holes for burials in the apple orchard.”
Article content
However, to date, the report of Beaulieu has never been released, despite the federal government paying $40,000 for the work. It has never been subject to scrutiny nor have other experts had the opportunity to challenge it.
Article content
From the very beginning, it was never about truth, it was about establishing a narrative.
Article content
And far from finding the graves of children, all the “preliminary” investigation found was “anomalies” — a fact the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc First Nation later recognized in a 2024 statement.
Article content
But the damage had already been done and the consequences are still ongoing.
Article content
Since the Kamloops announcement, more than 100 Christian churches have been burnt to the ground or vandalized.
Article content
Canada felt ashamed and disgusted. Young people especially felt guilty. A Leger poll in 2023 for the Association for Canadian Studies found 25 per cent of people aged 18-24 said they felt personally responsible for past injustices against Indigenous people.
.png)
1 hour ago
9


















Bengali (BD) ·
English (US) ·