‘Anti-weaponization’ fund reaction and Colbert’s ‘Late Night’ finale: Morning Rundown

1 hour ago 7

Trump’s allies and critics are already applying for a share of his $1.8 billion “anti-weaponization” fund. More than a dozen people in Minnesota are charged in a Medicaid fraud investigation. And Stephen Colbert bids farewell to late-night TV with a star-studded show.

Subscribe to read this story ad-free

Get unlimited access to ad-free articles and exclusive content.

Here’s what to know today.

Trump’s $1.8 billion fund isn’t officially open yet. That hasn’t stopped applications.

Applications are already rolling into the Justice Department from hopefuls aiming for some of the nearly $1.8 billion “anti-weaponization fund,” even though the process can’t officially begin until commissioners are chosen to decide how the money is doled out.

This is Morning Rundown, a weekday newsletter to start your day. Sign up here to get it in your inbox.

That includes Michael Caputo, a spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services during President Donald Trump’s first term. He wants $2.7 million. After seeing Caputo’s public appeal to acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen said he planned to apply. And two lawyers who say they represent more than 400 participants in the Jan. 6 riot said they expect their clients to apply through the fund.

The Justice Department has 30 days from when the settlement was signed on Monday to choose five commissioners to decide how the money is shared out. Then, the money pool — if it isn’t blocked by Congress or courts — would have to be distributed by the end of Trump’s term in 2028.

Both Democrats and Republicans have criticized the compensation scheme, with some calling it a “slush fund” for Trump’s allies.

Objections to the fund prompted Senate Republicans yesterday to put off a vote to fund ICE and Border Patrol until next month, two sources familiar with the discussions said.

Read the full story here.

More politics news:

  • The Democratic National Committee released an autopsy report on the 2024 election that criticizes the party for an “unwillingness to listen to all voters” and relying too heavily on Republicans to “nominate deeply flawed candidates.” Here’s what else was in the report.

▶️ Tune in to Here’s the Scoop’s special Supreme Court Edition, where Senior Legal Correspondent Laura Jarrett goes deep on major cases.

New data and unsealed court docs shed light on the Blake Lively backlash

A split composite image of Justin Baldoni, left, and Blake Lively.Justin Baldoni; Blake Lively.Getty Images file

Did Blake Lively’s reputation decline organically, or was someone manipulating public opinion about her? That’s what the actor wanted to find out in a courtroom. Instead, the long-running legal dispute with her “It Ends With Us” director and co-star, Justin Baldoni, settled.

But new data, along with unsealed court documents and expert witness reports, offer the clearest view so far into the alleged digital operation against Lively. Analysis from the behavioral-intelligence company Gudea “found inauthentic engagement around” Lively, while court documents reveal that Lively’s legal team focused on the so-called “little bump video,” which is an interview the actress did with a Norwegian journalist that led to accusations of bullying.

Senior Hollywood reporter Rebecca Keegan lays out what we’ve learned since the settlement.

DOJ alleges more than $90 million in Medicaid fraud in Minnesota

The Justice Department announced criminal charges against 15 people in Minnesota accused of defrauding Medicaid and several other state-run social services programs of more than $90 million. The announcement coincided with the sentencing of Aimee Bock, the former leader of a Minnesota nonprofit who was convicted in a $250 million fraud case deemed the nation’s “single largest COVID-19 fraud scheme.”

Bock’s case and many other overlapping fraud cases, some involving members of Minnesota’s Somali community, were initially used by the Trump administration to justify the large-scale immigration operation in the state.

Yesterday, Assistant Attorney General Colin McDonald accused two people in one alleged scheme of defrauding $46.6 million from a publicly funded program meant to provide medical services to children with autism. Eleven defendants were also accused of defrauding three separate programs helping people with disabilities live independently, resulting in more than $39.1 million in losses.

Read more about the allegations.

Stephen Colbert says goodbye to ‘The Late Show’

It’s the end of an era for “The Late Show,” as Stephen Colbert hosted the late-night staple’s final episode.

Colbert got a little help from his friend Paul McCartney, who was the show’s final guest and closed out the finale with a performance of The Beatles’ “Hello, Goodbye.” And there were several celebrity cameos throughout, including Jon Stewart, Paul Rudd and Ryan Reynolds, as well as fellow late-night hosts Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers and John Oliver. Throughout the episode, Colbert balanced the show’s signature humor with bits that addressed CBS’ decision to pull him and the show off the air.

Here’s a recap of the day — from fans who braved the rain to show their support, to big moments from the episode.

Plus, On The Lot, NBC News’ subscriber-only newsletter for all things entertainment, will dive deeper into Colbert’s “Late Show” swan song. (Today’s edition goes out at 3 p.m. ET.) Sign up here.

NBC Select: ‘Wait to buy tech’ and 6+ other tips to help you save during Memorial Day sales

With rising gas and grocery prices, it’s more important than ever to spend money strategically. We spoke to several retail experts about what to buy during Memorial Day sales — and what to skip. You don’t have to wait to use their advice, early deals have already started with major savings from Apple, LG, and more.

Sign up to The Selection newsletter for hands-on product reviews, expert shopping tips and a look at the best deals and sales each week.

Read All About It

  • Kyle Busch, a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, died at the age of 41, hours after his family said that he had been hospitalized.
  • Doping in professional sports is widely condemned. At this competition, it’s encouraged.

Staff Pick: Savannah Bananas bring joy and a second chance at a dream

Derek Klena poses for a portrait Derek Klena after a Savannah Bananas baseball game at Yankee Stadium. Bryan Anselm / The Washington Post via Getty Images file

The Savannah Bananas are arguably the hottest ticket in sports. They’re selling out stadiums across the country and have a waitlist that’s four million people long. But they’re also providing a new avenue in professional sports for hundreds of athletes who would have otherwise needed to call it a career.

After playing four years of college baseball and one year internationally, I had to say goodbye to my baseball career. I had countless friends and teammates, more talented than I was, do the same. Would the Bananas have been an option for some of us? I talked to the players and coaches themselves to find out just how talented the players behind the viral videos truly are. Eric Samulski, sports reporter

Thanks for reading today’s Morning Rundown. Today’s newsletter was curated for you by Elizabeth Robinson. If you’re a fan, please send a link to your family and friends. They can sign up here.

Trump’s allies and critics are already applying for a share of his $1.8 billion “anti-weaponization” fund. More than a dozen people in Minnesota are charged in a Medicaid fraud investigation. And Stephen Colbert bids farewell to late-night TV with a star-studded show.

Subscribe to read this story ad-free

Get unlimited access to ad-free articles and exclusive content.

Here’s what to know today.

Trump’s $1.8 billion fund isn’t officially open yet. That hasn’t stopped applications.

Applications are already rolling into the Justice Department from hopefuls aiming for some of the nearly $1.8 billion “anti-weaponization fund,” even though the process can’t officially begin until commissioners are chosen to decide how the money is doled out.

This is Morning Rundown, a weekday newsletter to start your day. Sign up here to get it in your inbox.

That includes Michael Caputo, a spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services during President Donald Trump’s first term. He wants $2.7 million. After seeing Caputo’s public appeal to acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen said he planned to apply. And two lawyers who say they represent more than 400 participants in the Jan. 6 riot said they expect their clients to apply through the fund.

The Justice Department has 30 days from when the settlement was signed on Monday to choose five commissioners to decide how the money is shared out. Then, the money pool — if it isn’t blocked by Congress or courts — would have to be distributed by the end of Trump’s term in 2028.

Both Democrats and Republicans have criticized the compensation scheme, with some calling it a “slush fund” for Trump’s allies.

Objections to the fund prompted Senate Republicans yesterday to put off a vote to fund ICE and Border Patrol until next month, two sources familiar with the discussions said.

Read the full story here.

More politics news:

  • The Democratic National Committee released an autopsy report on the 2024 election that criticizes the party for an “unwillingness to listen to all voters” and relying too heavily on Republicans to “nominate deeply flawed candidates.” Here’s what else was in the report.

▶️ Tune in to Here’s the Scoop’s special Supreme Court Edition, where Senior Legal Correspondent Laura Jarrett goes deep on major cases.

New data and unsealed court docs shed light on the Blake Lively backlash

A split composite image of Justin Baldoni, left, and Blake Lively.Justin Baldoni; Blake Lively.Getty Images file

Did Blake Lively’s reputation decline organically, or was someone manipulating public opinion about her? That’s what the actor wanted to find out in a courtroom. Instead, the long-running legal dispute with her “It Ends With Us” director and co-star, Justin Baldoni, settled.

But new data, along with unsealed court documents and expert witness reports, offer the clearest view so far into the alleged digital operation against Lively. Analysis from the behavioral-intelligence company Gudea “found inauthentic engagement around” Lively, while court documents reveal that Lively’s legal team focused on the so-called “little bump video,” which is an interview the actress did with a Norwegian journalist that led to accusations of bullying.

Senior Hollywood reporter Rebecca Keegan lays out what we’ve learned since the settlement.

DOJ alleges more than $90 million in Medicaid fraud in Minnesota

The Justice Department announced criminal charges against 15 people in Minnesota accused of defrauding Medicaid and several other state-run social services programs of more than $90 million. The announcement coincided with the sentencing of Aimee Bock, the former leader of a Minnesota nonprofit who was convicted in a $250 million fraud case deemed the nation’s “single largest COVID-19 fraud scheme.”

Bock’s case and many other overlapping fraud cases, some involving members of Minnesota’s Somali community, were initially used by the Trump administration to justify the large-scale immigration operation in the state.

Yesterday, Assistant Attorney General Colin McDonald accused two people in one alleged scheme of defrauding $46.6 million from a publicly funded program meant to provide medical services to children with autism. Eleven defendants were also accused of defrauding three separate programs helping people with disabilities live independently, resulting in more than $39.1 million in losses.

Read more about the allegations.

Stephen Colbert says goodbye to ‘The Late Show’

It’s the end of an era for “The Late Show,” as Stephen Colbert hosted the late-night staple’s final episode.

Colbert got a little help from his friend Paul McCartney, who was the show’s final guest and closed out the finale with a performance of The Beatles’ “Hello, Goodbye.” And there were several celebrity cameos throughout, including Jon Stewart, Paul Rudd and Ryan Reynolds, as well as fellow late-night hosts Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers and John Oliver. Throughout the episode, Colbert balanced the show’s signature humor with bits that addressed CBS’ decision to pull him and the show off the air.

Here’s a recap of the day — from fans who braved the rain to show their support, to big moments from the episode.

Plus, On The Lot, NBC News’ subscriber-only newsletter for all things entertainment, will dive deeper into Colbert’s “Late Show” swan song. (Today’s edition goes out at 3 p.m. ET.) Sign up here.

NBC Select: ‘Wait to buy tech’ and 6+ other tips to help you save during Memorial Day sales

With rising gas and grocery prices, it’s more important than ever to spend money strategically. We spoke to several retail experts about what to buy during Memorial Day sales — and what to skip. You don’t have to wait to use their advice, early deals have already started with major savings from Apple, LG, and more.

Sign up to The Selection newsletter for hands-on product reviews, expert shopping tips and a look at the best deals and sales each week.

Read All About It

  • Kyle Busch, a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, died at the age of 41, hours after his family said that he had been hospitalized.
  • Doping in professional sports is widely condemned. At this competition, it’s encouraged.

Staff Pick: Savannah Bananas bring joy and a second chance at a dream

Derek Klena poses for a portrait Derek Klena after a Savannah Bananas baseball game at Yankee Stadium. Bryan Anselm / The Washington Post via Getty Images file

The Savannah Bananas are arguably the hottest ticket in sports. They’re selling out stadiums across the country and have a waitlist that’s four million people long. But they’re also providing a new avenue in professional sports for hundreds of athletes who would have otherwise needed to call it a career.

After playing four years of college baseball and one year internationally, I had to say goodbye to my baseball career. I had countless friends and teammates, more talented than I was, do the same. Would the Bananas have been an option for some of us? I talked to the players and coaches themselves to find out just how talented the players behind the viral videos truly are. Eric Samulski, sports reporter

Thanks for reading today’s Morning Rundown. Today’s newsletter was curated for you by Elizabeth Robinson. If you’re a fan, please send a link to your family and friends. They can sign up here.

*** Disclaimer: This Article is auto-aggregated by a Rss Api Program and has not been created or edited by Bdtype.

(Note: This is an unedited and auto-generated story from Syndicated News Rss Api. News.bdtype.com Staff may not have modified or edited the content body.

Please visit the Source Website that deserves the credit and responsibility for creating this content.)

Watch Live | Source Article